Everyone wants to make life a little easier right? (Especially a sleep deprived mama!)
With two babies under my belt now, I am going to help you new moms with the items I highly recommend to get you and baby through those long nights/days!
I’m at the age were all my Facebook/Instagram friends are popping out babies (SO. MANY. CUTE. BABIES), and we are all scrambling around trying to figure this mom thing out and asking each other for help on which products they recommend… so, here we go!
- Dockatot Deluxe – This is my #1 recommendation for new moms! Yes, it is a little bit of an investment (they start at around $75 and can go up to over $200 depending on size and print). BUT, ladies if you can, grab you one! There are also always people selling them online for a reasonable price (that’s where I got ours!) via Facebook or other sale apps. The Dockatot Deluxe is for babies newborn – 8 months and the Dockatot Grand is for babes aged 8 – 36 months. We are currently using the Deluxe (and I honestly hope we will have an easy transition to the crib and won’t have to upgrade to the Grand), and you guys… it is a life saver! The first few days home from the hospital we put the Dockatot in between us and from the get-go baby girl slept for 4 hours at a time! (That’s a big deal for us since our first born slept for 2 hours at a time… Dockatot’s weren’t a thing back then!) After a few days we started putting the Dockatot in her crib and since she was already used to it she continued to sleep those 4 hours without any interruption. Also, it is so easy to travel with. You can take it from room to room or when you go somewhere and the baby is always essentially sleeping in their “bed” with no problems!
- Fisher-Price Auto Rock N Play – This honestly could be a tie with the Dockatot for the #1 spot! With our son, this was 100% our 1 must-have three years ago. Now, when our daughter isn’t sleeping in her Dockatot, she is sleeping in her Rock N Play. I highly recommend the auto version of the Rock N Play because it can rock itself as well as play music. It will auto rock for up to 6 hours at a time which is WONDERFUL! Since it auto rocks, we are able to put baby in her Rock N Play and she will fall asleep on her own without us having to rock her or hold her to go to sleep. Also, it is inclined, so if you have a baby with acid reflux you will prefer this over the Dockatot to help baby get through those rough times.
- Kickee Pants – Y’all… is it possible for this brand to also be tied for the #1 must-have spot? These pajama’s (let’s get real, we wear them all the time & everywhere, not just to bed) are SO FREAKIN’ SOFT! Our baby girl is a great sleeper (thank you to the two items above), but she is an AMAZING sleeper the nights she sleeps in her Kickee Pants sleepers/coveralls! She always sleeps an extra hour or 2 when she wears them to bed… they are magical! And, this is another popular product that other mamas are always selling online for cheap – snatch them up when you see them! You WILL NOT regret it! (And they even have clothes for moms… I haven’t bought any yet simply for the fact that I’m pretty sure if I put them on I will NEVER take them off.)
- Milkbarn – Right behind Kickee Pants, comes Milkbarn! These clothes are super soft like KP, and have the cutest dang prints for girls & boys! And if you’re local to Longview, Ellie Bee’s sells this brand – that’s where I first discovered them!
- Owlet – This is a GAME CHANGER! I really wish this would have been around with our son, but I am oh so grateful it is around now! This small sock monitors your baby’s heart rate and oxygen level, therefore you don’t have to wake up a million times to check on your baby like all of us new moms do… that new mom anxiety/fear is no joke. It comes with a monitor that goes off by playing a loud sound if there are abnormal readings from the baby, and also alerts your cell phone as well. The Owlet app is my favorite app on my phone. When the baby has her Owlet sock on, I can check the app at anytime and it will tell me her levels so I can relax knowing she is okay in the other room without having to try and sneak in there quietly to check on her (because let’s be honest, that always ends terribly but accidentally bumping into something causing an avalanche of some sort waking up the baby & leaving you with a broken big toe). These are expensive ($300), BUT a lot of people don’t know you can set up a payment plan! You don’t have to pay the full $300 upfront! To me, that makes Owlet even more of an amazing company. They acknowledge that not only is the health of the baby important, but it’s important for everyone – no matter who can afford their product.
- Medela Breast Pump – If you are someone who plans on breast feeding/pumping, this breast pump was so easy to use! It comes with everything you need to pump at home or on the go. (Tip: before buying any breast pump, check with your health insurance to see if you qualify to get one for FREE!)
- Hands Free Breast Pump Bra – If you are going to pump – get you one. Don’t hesitate, just do it. You will be so glad you did!
- WubbaNub Pacifier – I mainly just adore these because they are so cute, but I love these pacifiers! They are the same type of pacifier they provide you with in the hospital, but they have an adorable little stuffed animal attached to them… I mean, how cute?! They are also A LOT easier to find when they go missing. Our daughter is one month old and I’m pretty sure we have lost every single pacifier already besides our WubbaNubs, those little things are sneaky I tell you! Also, as the baby gets older they can hold on to the little animal and it helps soothe them as well. And in my opinion it seems like these stay in the baby’s mouth easier, too!
- Aden + Anais Burpy Bib – We were given these burp cloths/bibs as a gift and I instantly fell in love! They are super soft and absorbent! They are slightly curved so they lay perfectly on your shoulder when you are burping baby. Best part – the sides can also button together and double as a bib! So, basically these are going to last you all through the newborn days & the messy eating days as well.
- Sound Machine/Projector – This is the one item my now 3-year-old still uses to this day, since birth! I definitely recommend sound machines for little ones. It helps drown out the noise of the outside world (example: extremely loud older siblings) to help for a more peaceful sleep. The reason I love this one by myBaby is because it plays different music and white noise options, has a timer, and a projector to show cute little scenes on the ceiling/wall in your baby’s dark nursery at night. Like I said, our son STILL uses his. Twinkle Twinkle Little Star has played every night in his room for 3 years straight… he might have to go to college with that thing haha!
- Baby Bjorn – There are a lot of different carriers/wraps out there, this is just the one I have used for both babies. No matter what kind you choose to use, a carrier/wrap is 100% a must-have baby item! Not only does it let you have 2 free hands to do the millions of things you need to get done around the house, most babies love them as well! The baby is snuggled up close to mom/dad, feels like they are still being held, and really enjoy the movement of walking around with you. I take ours everywhere – I wear baby to the grocery store, to run errands, on a walk, and chasing around her big brother. Soooooo helpful when are alone with kiddos and need some extra helping hands!
- Pampers Diapers – Pampers Swaddlers, y’all. These have always been our favorite! I know that varies for each baby (with leakage, sensitivity, etc.) But, before you start trying every diaper brand under the sun – just start with Pampers and go from there! I also love Pampers wipes this go-around! With our son we used Huggies wipes, but we received a lot of Pampers wipes at our shower this time and I’m really liking them!
Tip: If you can have a diaper shower… DO IT! It will be the biggest blessing in disguise! When you’re expecting a baby you get excited about the big/fancy items and tend to not get as excited about the simple things like diapers/wipes. But, once you have to start purchasing diapers/wipes all of the time… you (and your bank account) will thank me for this tip! We didn’t have to buy diapers until our son was a year old thanks to all of our friends who came to our diaper shower! IT. WAS. AWESOME! Another option is to have a diaper raffle at our baby shower if you aren’t able to have two separate showers!
- Dr. Brown’s Bottles – We have used these bottles for both babies, and I wouldn’t use anything else! Even if your baby does not have gas issues, I would recommend these to prevent it from even happening… because a gassy baby is NO FUN. There’s a lot tears involved – from mom & baby. Dr. Brown’s bottles have a vent system to prevent any air bubbles that lead to colic, gas, and reflux. One thing a lot of people do not like about them are all of the parts you have to clean, but it doesn’t bother me at all. I would rather prevent the misery of a gassy baby!
- Copper Pearl Swaddle – Copper Pearl is another brand I absolutely love! These brands that have this super soft material just get me every time. Not only are Copper Pearl super soft, but stretchy as well – which makes for a great swaddle blanket! Swaddling a baby can be a doozy if you haven’t figured that out yet, but stretchy material helps make that task a little easier. Copper Pearl also makes adorable bandana bibs, car seat/nursing covers, and top-knot hats!
- Fisher-Price Sit-Me-Up – Since our babe is too little to use this yet, this recommendation is coming strictly from the many I received that made me purchase this item for the future! One of my best friends had this for her little girl and it was so convenient to take everywhere we went. It’s light weight, folds down for space saving, and has toys attached for baby. This might be a new alternative to the Bumbo seat we used with our first kiddo (which we still have and will use as well!).
- Backpack Diaper Bag – I know most moms go for a super cute diaper bag, but when it comes to toting around a huge bag & a baby – you will quickly find that looks aren’t the number one priority here. With baby #2 I received a backpack diaper bag and O M G it’s one of my all time favorite things! Once again, the more free arms/hands you have – the better! This backpack I have listed also comes with a changing pad and insulated pockets for the bottles… how convenient! Also, it’s unisex so dad won’t feel girly sporting it either!
- Angelcare Bath Support – Register for this! We have used several different baby bath tubs, and this is by far my favorite one. Even though this isn’t technically a “bath tub” its great to set in your actual bath tub and keep baby supported without slipping and sliding everywhere.
Tip: If you register at Target, they give you 20% off of anything left on your registry that you do not receive at your baby shower that you may need/want to purchase yourself! Also, they just started sending little onesies to your baby thanking you for using their registry!
I hope this helped you ladies out! If you have items you love that I didn’t list, leave them in the comments below! Mothers helping mothers, there’s nothing better.